Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Kitchen Table MakeOver

Edit: Please note that the date of this post was in 2010.
We sold our home in 2013, and the new owners purchased this table, too,
so it is no longer in my possession, but the details about doing it are still the same! 
I Really Liked This Table All Worn
and Loved Looking,
but Decided to Spruce it Up a Bit.
I Was Dead Set on Staining it Black,
bought all the Stuff and was Ready to Go.
Got Up in the Morning,
and Decided to Pull out all the Stops
and Go for
RED.
Heirloom Red by Valspar in Satin,
Actually.
I DIDN'T Know Exactly What I was doing,
But After Lots of Questions,
and Thinking about it
(I've Been Considering it for MONTHS)
I Decided to Go for it.
First I Quickly Washed it Down.
Then I Lightly Sanded It with This:
No. I Didn't Take all the Old Finish Off,
Just Lightly/Quickly Sanded It-
Just Gave it Enough Teeth to Grab the Paint.
Wiped it again with a Wet Paper Towel,
Which, By the Way, Is What I always Do-
It's a GREAT Way to Remove
Sanding Dust from Projects.
Then I Primed It.
I Used a Bonding Primer.
I've been Using it for My Kitchen,
Just Got it at Lowe's .
I Believe it Says
"Contractors Bonding Primer"
On it
Then I Lightly Sanded it Again.
Then I Painted It Red,
Using a Small Foam Roller Brush.
Lightly Sanded it,
Painted it Red Again,
Lightly Sanded it,
This Time Using

This Fine Steel Wool,
So it Would Leave a Very
SMOOTH
Surface.
Then I Antiqued it.
For Antiquing-
I Use a Tintable Glaze
by Valspar
It Comes Clear,
I had Mine Tinted
"Fired Earth"
by Valspar.
Pretty Much, its a Paint that you can paint on, then remove as You like.
I put it on with a sponge brush,
I use a paper towel for the removal,
and You work in a small area.
Then I Put TWO coats of
POLY ACRYLIC
on it.
{I LOVE IT!}

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Ryan was sure right about going with RED instead of black, huh? That table is so pretty and what will you do with the chairs?

Sarah said...

ok, you are seriously killing me. Stop it! How do you do all this?? I've got to come see everything in it's new celestialized form!

Michigan Roys said...

You are truly amazing! It looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I love it! You were right about RED!

J said...

I'm Going with Black chairs that are distressed with Red & a wood tone.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathie Jo said...

Thanks for posting your instructions for the table, it looks amazing. I have a table I bought years ago because I loved the carved details on the sides. Unfortunately, I'd only had for a couple of weeks when my daughter spilled finger nail polish remover on it and then tried to hide it with a table cloth. Long story...bad results. (BTW...there was a rule about nails only get done in the bathroom...and this was not the last "accident" she had with nail stuff)! I have since had to keep it covered with a table cloth. At any rate, I LOVE the RED! I have often wanted to re-do my table, but have been too intimidated. I inquired about having it done professionally and have to tell you it was almost as much as the table!! I think the quoute was between $500 and $600!! I've been thinking recently of getting a new one, but I am going to give this a try first and see what happens...why not, I have nothing to lose!!! I'm thinking if I don't go with your red I might choose a blue or green for a some what of a patina look. I am wondering how hard it is to sand and paint around the detailed areas? Sorry to ramble so...but thanks a ton for the inspiration and the courage!!!

J said...

@Kathie Jo,
I only sanded a bit around the details, just like the rest of the table, and slopped the paint on merrily on my way, it wasn't too bad. I too, was of the attitude that I may as well try it, because I had nothing to lose!
I totally love green and blue on pieces, too!
Good Luck!!

michele said...

I just stumbled on your blog and you have inspired me to love my current kitchen with a few changes! Thank you so much for your ideas and tutorials.

two little chefs said...

I have been thinking about this chair I have in my front room that used to be in my parent's home. I've always loved it, but it is seriously worn - I am going to follow your tips here. Thanks!

Unknown said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ALL your stuff! I need some advice, PLEASE. Can I please have your email address so I can send you a picture of a picture of virgin furniture that I MUST paint or finish this summer? PLEASE!?!?

cassrapp@hotmail.com
THANKS!

Unknown said...

How does the steel wool work to make it a smooth finish? That has been one of my major issues when I paint any kind of furniture. I can't get a smooth finish no matter how much sanding and the other tools I use. And yes I have used several techniques. Also I'm scared of trying the glazing. Is it pretty simple? I tried it on a scrap piece one time and I hated it! HELP!

Margie Pruter said...

Just curious as to how the top has worn over time and if you'd do anything more to protect this high traffic surface.
Thank you!

J said...

@Jessica Morgan, I'm not sure how the steel wool works its magic, but it does. You use it as sandpaper, just scratching all over, and it looks like its not doing hardly a thing, but then when you wipe it off, and put another coat on, and it feels really smooth.

@Margie Pruter, Hmmmm, how would I protect the old table more, to avoid the remake in the first place? Not let the kids ever near it, I guess :). I suppose putting a cover on it would have helped, but I'm not personally into covers. It was a cheap table, so the finish was cheap and the wood was soft, and overtime, just daily use and putting centerpieces on it took their toll. A clear finish of sorts would probably have helped, too. Good Question!

Unknown said...

When you painted it red, did you paint it completely and evenly? I'm just wondering since you used the tinted glaze. Does the glaze fill in places or you just let it stay on the places you want it on?

LJ Wolf said...

Hi- I just wanted to let you know, I love your blog. I'm about to paint my sled bed and wardrobe very soon and give it the distressed look like you have done in all of your projects. I'm just curious what color, "Fired Earth" is? I know it's a glaze. I'm just curious if it would go with Black? I'm going to paint my bed & wardrobe black. Right now it's this horrid yellow-beige color. The paint faded after a couple of years. It's time to get down to business. Thanks so much for your help. I love your projects. I wish you'd do a YouTube video so we could see how you apply each layer of paint/glaze. God Bless :)

J said...

@jody, yes, when I painted it red, I did it evenly, everywhere. When I did the glaze, I did not do it evenly. I put more on the places I wanted to be dark/antiqued, and less on the places that I only wanted a bit of the dark color on. I put the glaze on all over, thinly where I wanted little glaze, and heavily, with more intention, where I wanted darker places. I put it on with a sponge brush, then with a wet paper towel, I wiped off the glaze/removed the glaze to get the look I wanted. On the darker places, I just put painted the glaze on how I wanted it, and let it dry- not removing any of it. I hope I explained that helpfully enough!

@Today's Gift, "Fired Earth" is a very dark brown, very close to black color. I do not think it will show up like how you want on your black paint. I personally go for a lighter to medium brown color, when glazing on black pieces, so it shows up more- I think you will be happier with the results :)

Unknown said...

So the dark details are over the red? I plan to do this with 2 of my kitchen pieces but assumed the dark was underneath.