Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Rainy Half Marathon

05.18.2013

What started out as a constant drizzle as we loaded the buses at 4:30 am and waited for the Race Start, turned into a downpour about 10mins before Start Time! Fortunately, my running partner had grabbed trash sacks for us, and I joined all the other trash sack poncho wearing runners and sacked up! I tend to get rather warm while running, so I ditched all the long clothes and jackets and went for lighter clothes, planning on the body heat the bag would generate to keep me warm- and it worked great! I was warm and ready to ditch the bag at mile 4, so I tore off some of the bag, wrapped it around my phone in my arm band, and trashed the sack. Even though it continued to rain the ENTIRE time, and I was completely Soggy from head to toe, I was comfortably warm enough- uh, except my hands- they were Freezing!
My body felt great, I had good energy, and if the energry started to wane a little, I just reminded myself of the dry, warm clothes waiting at the finish! I was actually amazed about how wet a body can get, and it doesn't seem to bother it a bit- it doesn't rust or leak- the water just keeps rolling off that wonder of a water-proof thing we call our bodies!
The only time I felt like I was freezing and started shivering really bad,
was at the end, when I stopped running and had to stand in line to get those warm clothes!
And,
Of Course,
Seeing My Biggest Fans standing in the Rain at the Finish,
was a Wonderful sight!
Knowing that they're there waiting for Me,
always makes Me want to Hurry and finish Strong!
Definitely wasn't my fastest Half Marathon time,
but I had such a blast,
I really hardly noticed!
That was Fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Jeralyn. You look really happy. MGS