Friday, May 7, 2010

What I Learned

From My MOM
Just a Few Things, Among Many:
Always Say Thank You.
From the Lady at the Checkout Counter,
to the Person who Refills Your Water Cup.
Always Thank Them for Their Time.
*
Respect My Elders
*
Manners:
Little Ladies Should Act Like Little Ladies.
*
No Singing At the Table
Though at My Own House,
I Allow It.
Perhaps Even, Encourage it.
*
Work Before Play
*
Do it Right the First Time
and
Stick With It Till Its Done.
*
Put a Smile On Your Face,
and
Grin and Bear It.
*
And Her Favorite Saying?
"Why Buy the Cow When the Milk is Free?"
She WASN'T Talking about
Free Milk.
*
Her Scare Tactics That
Worked:
If You End Up In Jail,
Do Not Call Me.
I Will NOT Come Get You.
*
If You Get Pregnant,
A. I'm Not Raising You or It
B. It Hurts Like Hell Coming Out.
*
[moving on......]
How to Balance a Check Book
and Pay Bills
*
Everything Looks Better
In Three Days
*
Family Loyalty
*
Don't Give Up
*
Make a Plan/Make a List
*
and
PRAY.
Wow.
You Taught Me a Lot
of Good Things, Mom.
Happy Mother's Day.
I Love You,
Jeralyn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Jer, dear, I think some of what you have learned from me came to me from my mother and my grandmother - they would be so proud of all you have learned from them. I have learned so much from you, mostly that it (whatever 'it' is) can be done. You were always my stick-to-it girl, and now you are running 5Ks!
I love you. Mom

Sarah said...

You do have an absolutely incredible mother.
I'm glad she never came and bailed you out of jail. That's a lesson you have to learn the hard way.
(ha, ha--j/k)